Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Just Rambling

It turns out that we had, I think, 9 days of 60 degrees in June this year, in the Salt Lake City area. That's 2 0r 3 times normal. We even had a day in the 50s. We have not had 100 degree days yet except in Tooele, on July 1st. Still, it went from 60s to 70s to 80s in about 4 days. Now we are in the 90s every day, usually mid to upper 90s. Yesterday was 98. I keep remembering last year when we had mid to upper 90s for a record number of days, plus a record number of triple digit days as well. It's hard to remember the very snowy and cold winter we had when you're cooking. To add insult to injury, despite the snowy winter, we had a cool but dry spring, so we still need to conserve water.

I finally got my daughter's paintings hung. One is slightly crooked, but I can live with it. I put it above my Aunt's computer and could barely reach the wall to put the hangers up, so it will have to do. I went through the clothing that I kept here for Michele. I got it as far as the basement. That will do. I have other things in bags down there to give away. Someday, I'll put everything together,and it will all be anonymous by then, and I'll give it all away. It will be 2 months since her passing next Tuesday, I think I'm doing okay, not "fine" yet, but"okay".

I'm working on the 4th of July. I think that's the first time in years that I've worked. I won't get to see the parade here in Tooele, but I've seen and heard the Tooele High Scholl Band. We live just down the street from the stadium, so we hear them practising.They also practise their marching down our street at least one day a week lately. It's been fun to watch them improve over time.

My Aunt bought me a manual lawn mower. I've been getting up early to get the lawns cut before it gets too warm. Tuesday, I cut the back lawn about 6:30 am. I was serenaded by a cow all morning. At first I thought the cow wanted to be milked, but then realised that most people who have cows here are raising them for meat. Anyway, that cow bawled all morning and into the afternoon. Maybe it had been moved to a new pasture and wasn't comfortable yet. I'm still not quite used to hearing livestock in my nieghborhood yet. I enjoy the quail and mourning doves, but I miss the ducks and geese. At least I'm not far out enough to hear coyotes howling like I did when I was a little girl.

No comments: