Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Marking Time

Today is July 8, 2008. It has been 2 months since my Daughter, Michele died. It really isn't that much time, I remind myself when I start thinking that I should be farther along the road of mourning. I think sometimes we think that if we put in a certain amount of time feeling the pain, remembering our loved one and missing them, that it should be done and the pain gone. I suspect that is not the case. I've never lost a child before, so have no frame of reference. I pray that I never lose another child, it is not only painful, but seems against "the way of things" as well. I've talked to other mothers who have gone through this, some just a few years ago, another more than 15 years ago. The concensus seems that the pain never completely ends. Many things can open the heart to memory and bring pain again. It seems though, that eventually, the pain is less intense, memories more bittersweet, as time goes by.

My Mother died just after Thanksgiving, in 2005. The grief was intense in the immediate moments after she passed, but feelings soon were tempered by the fact that her death had been expected, and also by the fact that she was 87 years old and in very poor health. She lived with me for over 4 years, her quality of life deminishing gradually, until the last few months, her life seemed only trips for dialysis, a little TV and lots of sleeping. It seems to make a difference in the grief process, if you can recognise that for some, death is a release from pain and loss of freedom and interest in life. We still miss them greatly, but can feel they are in a better place. My Father's release from his life was like that. He suffered from Parkinson's disease which he experienced less as a trembling disease, than a freezing disease. He lost his ability to walk without falling, then his muscles became frozen,unable to straighten, unable to swallow, unable to even talk without having to force words out in a shout. He went from a very active man, sure of his ability to take care of himself and his family, to a shadow of himself, dependant on his wife for everything. In the end, I sensed that he was waiting for death.

Losing a child, on the other hand, seems quite different. You expect to be outlived by your children. Maybe, if you have a child who is sick, it might be different, but even then, you are probably praying for a miracle. Having that child die with little or no warning also makes things difficult. I see children killed in auto accidents or other kinds of violent loss, like the little 7 year old girl who died from a drive by shooting this week, and my heart goes out to the families. While I can't really say that I know what they are going through, I don't really, I can imagine pretty well due to my own experience, but only that, imagine it. I can't imagine how the parents who lose children due to some preventable accident can keep from being angry and bitter. Still, all the anger in the world can never return a loved one. As for myself, I just try to remember all the wonderful memories, and be grateful for the time I had my daughter, and be grateful for the rest of my wonderful family who are well and with me in this life. I also look forward to seeing my sweet Michele and my loving parents once again when my time comes to join them.

No comments: