Tuesday, July 15, 2008

It's All Attitude

Last Friday, I went to workwith my usual reluctance, It's just that it's like my Monday and going back to work after a weekend. However, things got worse. When I got into work and went into the office to pick up my pay receipt, there was my Team Lead, Pat. All I really noticed was that she didn't have her sling on her arm. She said she was in physical therapy now and we moved on to getting my check stub. Since our last Human Resources person had lost her job, I thought Pat was just helping out. When I got back to our kitchen, I found out she had been promoted.

I'm quite ashamed to admit that my first thought was of myself and how things were going to change in my department. I did though, spare a moment to realise how great this was for Pat. She would get weekends off with only an ocaisional Saturday to work. Her daughter plays soccar, and also bowls competively, so now Pat can be there for her. She'll also get off her feet a bit too. I also realised that if one of her assisstants gets the lead position, there may not be a lot of change.

When I found out that I had to demo individual servings of fruit and single serve pizza, I was not very happy again. I hate doing two products that don't relate to each other very well. Still, you demo what you're assigned. While my oven was heating and then baking pizza, I pushed fruit servings, then, when the pizza was done, I'd pull back the fruit and put out the pizza. At least they were things that most people are willing to taste. Unfortunately, people will usually only buy one of the two products, not both, so It's nearly impossible to reach set goals.

It's amazing how tired you get when you are griping and complaining about your lot in life all day. The next day, I demoed chicken marinated with a spice called "Kickin Chicken" and showing it being marinated in a ziploc bag. It actually is pretty fun, but there's a lot of behind the scenes prep work, like cutting up 18 pounds of chicken and putting it into the marinade. Since I was working with raw chicken, it needed to be cooked to 180 degrees for safety. Fortunately, most of our members are educated enough to understand the safety issue. By my lunch time, I realised that I wasn't going to have enough chiken, so it was back to the kitchen to cut more.

Again, I went home very tired. That night I tried to figure how to improve my attitude. I know that if I'm grouchy and feeling put upon, I'm not going to be effective at my job. After all, it's a "people"job as most selling jobs are. Besides, it really is no fun and I'm old enough that I can't see spending a whole 8 hours having a bad time if I can help it!

The next day, I tried to focus on the things I like about my job like talking to people and making them smile,and interacting with the kids, especially the toddlers. I love seeing the babies and talking about and admiring them is the easiest way to interact with the grown ups. I had a very enjoyable day feeding people salad with 2 vinagrets I was showing. Yes, the demo was easier in the physical sense, not too much preparation, more customer interaction, but my attitude was better as well, and that, I think made all the difference. The nice part was that my sales were better too.

No comments: