Thursday, August 20, 2009

Judgement

I'm not sure why we humans feel the need to make judgements of each other. Not only do we make judgemsnts, we catagorise and label as well. Judgements are not ours to make, we are really not evensupposed to judge ourselves. We do it anyway. It is a very harmful practise, both for the judgee and the judger.We label and pigeonhole each other, then wonder why feelings are hurt. It's only an opinion, right? Wrong! It takes on something that we aren't qualified or in a Christian sense, even allowed to do. One reason we should not judge is because we don't know enough. We can't see into the heart and soul of the person we are judging. We often don't even understand our own hearts and souls!

I've always liked the saying from the Native Americans. " Don't judge someone until you have walked a mile in their mocasins". There's another quote, " He who is without sin, may throw the first stone" I think that one pretty much removes all of us from the ability to judge!

For the last several years of my life, I have tried not to judge others. to say that it is a difficult thing is an understatement. One of the things I've tried to learn is to accept people as they are. This is something I learned from my beloved daughter, who was "different". I think it is very hard to get past the tribal attitudes of "us and them". If you aren't one of us, you must be one of them. If you are different, you aren't me or part of mine. Unfortunately, dispite progress, we still revert to tribalism, though it may be seen as something else, it is still a more primitive part of our phyche.

Sometimes, a person thinks they are just offering an opinion, helping you to see yourself. Really, you can have any opinion you want to have, but if it's hurtful, keep it to yourself. If your opinion is so strong that you can't accept a person, then remove yourself and let the relationship go. Hurtfullness in the guise of helping is not a good thing.

1 comment:

Lisa Sofia said...

Oh Mom, I so agree with you. It's amazing how being judged can strip you of self-confidence.