Tuesday, March 11, 2008

News

I'm happy to report that my Son, Daughter in Law and Children have formed thier own family blog, right here on Blogger. Since they live in Washington state and I live in Utah, with oil selling at $108 per barrel and gas prices soaring, it will help us to keep in tough a little better I hope. My oldest Grandson, Samuel, also has his own blog and he is writing a fantasy novel! I have such creative Grandchildren. Sam also plays guitar, piano, and viola. Caitlin sings, has tried her hand in dance and film making. Ethan is playing trumpet and doing very well.

That leads me to an interesting article that I just read on scientists studying the brain while doing something creative. They had a keyboard made of plastic so that it can be used inside of an MRI chamber. Next they had jazz pianists play inside. They played music they memorised, then they played improvisation, where they make it up as they on along. One of the things they found is that the area of the brain responsible for inhibition switches off when improvisation starts. That makes sense to me. Also, some of the same areas lit up that are used in dreaming. I know my dreams certainly seem creative, sometimes really bizarre actually. Too bad I don't put them on paper, but then again, there's that bizarre thing. The article is at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23562208/

No comments: