Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Harry Potter

Last week I joined millions of others in reading the final installment of the Harry Potter series. I read it within 24 hours with time out for sleep, fixing dinner and doing the weekly laundry. I usually read the Harry Potter books at a fairly fast clip as they are so good, they are hard to put down. Whatever shortcomings J.K.Rowling may have in some things, she is a consumate story teller.

I approached book seven with just a little sense of trepidation. There had been so many questions about Harry's fate. One chapter had me quite worried, but the faith I had in Rowling was justified and she provided an elegant solution to Harry's being the 7th Horcruxe. She also answered the major questions and put the pieces together. My only complaint is that the epilogue takes place 19 years later. What happened in those 19 years? Maybe Harry got his wish and had a quiet happy life with no troubles. As he said, he'd already seen enough problems in his short 17 year life. Even so, it opens the door to more stories if Rowling ever decides to do them, though her latest interview says she's got no plans to go back to Harry's world.

I've tried to understand why I have been so enthralled with a so called children's book. Still, I've enjoyed quite a few other young adult or children's books before. I do like the way Rowling brings attitudes of caring and respect and ethical conduct into the stories without sounding like she's on a soapbox. I'm impressed with how she shows the love of thier children that the adults have, even to having the Malfoy's turn from Voldemort for Draco's sake.

All in all, the Harry Potter series has been a great edition to literature. I'm sad that there may be no more books, but look forward to the 2 movies yet to come. I have enjoyed being there as Harry, Ron, Herminone, and all the rest of the Hogwart's students grew up into full grown witches and wizards. Hopefully, J.K.Rowlings' next projects will be as exciting.

No comments: