Thursday, July 19, 2007

Growing Up is Over-rated

Today, my Aunt, who is in her 70s was told by her older sister,(80s) that we hadn't grown up yet because we were excited about the new Harry Potter film and book. I'm in my 60s, so I figure that if I'm not grown up yet, it's not likely to happen at all. Somehow, that does'nt seem so bad to me. After all, if growing up means losing the ability to use my imagination and get excited about new things, then I want no part of it. Obviously, we need to grow up enough to take responsibility for our actions, enough to function in a complicated world, but I believe we need to keep the heart and imagination of a child. We need to keep the ability to view things with the eyes of a child,to keep the beautiful wonder that can be our world and lives if only we're able to view it like a young child. We can't allow ourselves to buy into the cynicism that so many people have, thinking that it's just part of growing up. Let me be able to look at my world and find the wonder of a beautiful sunrise or sunset, a perfect flower, a beautiful baby. Life without wonder and thinking of "what if?" would be grim indeed!

No comments: