Thursday, July 12, 2007

Be Kind, Especially To Yourself

In the course of my lifetime, I've discovered that we are our own worst critics and judges. Now that isn't earth shaking news to anyone out there I'm sure. Still, when we're in the throws of beating ourselves up, we tend to forget to be kind. We wouldn't tell our best friend that they were being stupid and self destuctive, at least not in the uncomplimentary terms we use on ourselves. I'm not sure why we forget to offer ourselves the basic kindnesses that we would offer a total stranger, but that often seems to be the case. I know that I once obsessed for almost an entire week over a mistake I had made. Now I did learn from that mistake, but I didn't need to obsess for a week, I learned my lesson almost immediately. The rest of the time, I think I was intent on reliving the past enough that I could change it which is totally impossible!!

I guess what I'm saying is that we aren't perfect and we allow strangers the right to be imperfect, but not ourselves. The Bible tells us not to judge one another, but we still insist on judging ourselves. Let's be kind to one another, especially ourselves.

No comments: