Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Back to Work

Friday, I went back to work. I went into the store with a little nervousness. I didn't really want too much attention, I wanted it to feel as normal as possible. Fortunately, many of the employees were unaware of any problems I might have. The people who were most aware, were my friends in the demo department and some managers. My supervisor told me I could pull off of the sales floor any time I needed to and could work shorter hours as well. I had easy demos all weekend. I was given sympathy cards that I put away to look at in private after work.

Things went quite well, until my old next door neighbors came in and a few minutes later a friend that I used to work with at another job. Both said they hadn't seen me at the store in awhile, so I ended up telling them about Michele. It wasn't that bad, but got my thoughts going into sadness. I ended up going home early both Friday and Saturday.

My friends have been very supportive and understanding about how hard it is for a mother to lose a child, no matter the age. One of my co-workers lost one of her sons at about 19. It's been several years ago, so she was able to talk to me about how she coped and the things she went through. It's been very helpful.

This weekend was Memorial Day. We had some pretty red, white and blue flower arrangements at the store. I picked up 2 on Friday and took them out to the cemetary on my way home.I put one on Mom's grave and one on Michele's grave. Just writing that,about Michele's grave seems so--almost inappropriate somehow, certainly not anything I ever thought I would be writing or saying.

I'm sure that time will ease my sorrow, but there will always be times when I will find myself missing Michele.

No comments: