Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Reality

Yesterday Michele's community service group, Turn had a memorial service for her. They had done a very beautiful presentation of photos of her through her years with them, with a beautiful musical accompaniment. They showed her enjoyments and friends and fun.

From the beginning of it, I felt my heart swell til I was afraid it would literally break. Even though I was with her at her passing, I'm not sure it was completely real for me. Suddenly, seeing her up on the screen, I realised, completely and totally, she is gone. I'll never hold her hand in mine, or receive her one armed hugs, at least in this life. Sometimes reality bites!

We went on with many people standing to relate their charished and often humorous memories of Michele. It really helped, I think. After everyone who wanted to speak, did so, we went out into the parking lot to give Michele a last tribute. One of Michele's joys in the fall, especially at Halloween was to smash pumpkins, Since it's not punpkin season, mini watermelons were used. From the top of a ladder onto a plastic sheet, 2 watermelons were smashed with great appause, to celebrate one of the joys Michele found in her life. I vowed to remember this Halloween, to smash a couple of pumpkins for her.

1 comment:

Lisa Sofia said...

What a wonderful tribute! We will have to use the pumpkin smashing as our "memorial day" here in Vancouver. I wish I could have been there. Did anyone video tape it? Also, was the presentation of photos done digitally? Do you think you could get a copy of the photos? I would love to have them.

I love you, Mom, and wish I could be there to go through this time with you.

Lisa