Thursday, October 11, 2007

Just Ramblin

I just received an ecard from my Granddaughter, Caitlyn. I really love hearing from her because it's almost like she's right here and I can hear her. She writes just like she sounds in person. It's always a bright spot in my day when I hear from any of my Grandchildren or from my Son or Daighter-in-Law. Since the Grandkids write infrequently, it's fortunate that my
daughter-in Law keeps me a little better posted, otherwise I wouldn't know what's going on. I know I could pick up the phone and talk in person, but they are all so busy, that it is hard to catch them at home. Holidays are hard, 'cause though I miss them all year, it seems most acute around the Holidays.

We've already had two snowstorms in the mountains. It gets warmer between storms. In fact, yesterday, it got quite warm, in the 80s in SLC. Today is a perfect Fall day, sunny, clear and in the mid 60s.

I heard on the news yesterday about the 14 year old boy in Cleveland, who shot 4 people and then turned the gun upon himself. While it is fortunate that he didn't kill anyone but himself, it is quite horrifying to think of a 14 year old with no reason to live. What is wrong with our society that leads these young people into a state of mind where they seem to feel their only option is violence and death?

While we need to address the problems of the depressed and hopeless, we must not forget the many young people who view life positively and look for ways to serve others, and there are many of them. I read a column by Thomas Friedman today. He had been to several colleges, talking to students. He's very impressed by their idealism and willingness to do their part to improve the world. He does, however, label them the "Q" generation,because they use the internet to communicate with others of thier mindset, but they don't get out and get vocal. He thinks they should be protesting, and certainly, they should be voting. I'm not sure about that, except for the voting part. The internet has been changing things. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how effective it is about changing the way politics is carried out. By the way, Friedman calls us the greedy generation. Ouch!

No comments: