Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Count Your Blessings

I was reading a quote from Charles Dickensthat every man should count his blessings, as any man alive has many. We should not concentrate on the past, as everyone has some problems and disappointments. That's a loose quote, but the meaning should be clear. I'm sure that each and everyone of us has had problems and disappointments in the past, done things and said things that we regret. The secret is to learn from those mistakes,then move on. As far as blessings in the"now", well, we're alive and breathing, then go on from there.

I had my handicapped daughter for one of her twice monthly overnights last night, She went to sleep around 9:30 p.m. and slept all night. That was a great blessing. Sometimes, we're lucky if she's able to sleep 4 hours. The traffic into town to take her to her workshop was pretty well behaved. Another blessing. It's a pretty day, despite the building up of smog, the skies overhead are a beautiful blue.

I went to my lawyer to finally get some things finalized that have been hanging for quite a while. I discovered that I had more money in the bank than I thought, a mixed blessing though, there are still too many checks that haven't been cleared yet. Oh well, I'm just getting used to debit cards and paying online I guess, think things should be quick, quick, quick.

Another blessing, I have no credit cards. It can be interesting living on a cash basis, sometimes quite liberating. I have no doubt that this will prove, ultimately, a very big blessing indeed.

I have a wonderful and supportive family. I have super grandchildren and my granddaughter is having a birthday next week, my oldest grandson is in college and the youngest one is becoming a wonderful young man.

My health is relatively good. It's been a little over a year since I first went to work in a job that requires me to be on my feet for hours. I remember coming home and soaking my feet most nights. I haven't done that in quite a long time. I can do my day and still have some energy left on most days. A true blessing. there are many more, but you get the idea.

No comments: