Sunday, November 01, 2009

Halloween

This is the second year I have worked on Halloween for my current job. I don't really remember last year, but I do remember this year. Of course that was yesterday, so I really should remember, right?

This year, our manager who is in charge of community outreach programs,(read PR), decided that since Halloween fell on a Saturday and we would see more children, we should supply them each with a paper bag and let them trick or treat in the store. That mostly meant supplying all the demo people with a supply of candy to hand out, in addition to our regular demo chores. We were kept supplied most of the day with plenty of candy. We're a warehouse store, we have BIG bags of candy.

It was a little distracting, sometimes a lot distracting. There were some really cute kids and costumes. There were very young ones who weren't quite sure what was going on, and there were those who were too shy to say "trick or treat". Sometimes we'd get so involved with the kids, to look up and find our trays empty of demo samples and mostly patient people waiting to taste some morsel or another. To say we were kept busy is an understatement. One of my demo associates said she wasn't even quite sure what day it was.

We had one or two demo people who tried to limit the candy to children, but most of us didn't worry about adults getting candy. I guess we remembered taking a little cut of the candy of our children when they were small.

It was dark when I came home and I worried about little goblins on the streets, but there were only those keeping to the sidewalks. Even with the "trunk or treat" programs at the churches and the downtown merchants giving out candy, we still had more kids than last year. We were close to running out of candy, which is better for my waistline anyway.

No comments: