Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Acceptance

One of my favorite prayers goes some thing like --God give me the courage to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things I can't and the wisdom to know the difference. I don't have it quite right, but it's known as the Serenity Prayer. It is really hard to know the difference, whether we should be butting our heads against a wall trying to change something we should be learning to accept, or if we're accepting something that could really be changed.

I think that if we're upset or irritated about some person's personality quirk or behavior, we might be better off accepting that person as he/she is or keeping away from them if possible. Sometimes a person that just drives you up a wall is a person that you work with or is otherwise pretty hard to keep away from. This person may be in your life for a purpose, to teach you something you need to learn and if you manage to keep away from them, someone else will show up that's even more irritating. Perhaps it's best to learn the lesson, then move on.

No comments: