Tuesday, October 19, 2010

What Do I Know?

I told myself I was going to write in my blog oftener, but I'm so out of the habit that I'm not doing so well. I guess I feel that I have to have something big or important to say. It would be nice to say something relavent and/or profound, but how often am I near my computer when I get "big" ideas. In the meantime, I guess I'll just ramble a bit.

One of the things that frustrates me a bit lately is the idea that I am my job, like I am defined by that which I do to earn my daily bread. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. It seems to be an American passtime. When we meet someone for the first time, we may find their job listed with their name as an introduction. If we want to know anything else about them, we have to make it a point to ask.  Often times, we just go on to talk about the person's job, as if that is all they are.

Some people don't seem to mind being defined by their jobs, especially if it's one they like or feel adds status. I like to think that I am more than my job, even though it takes up a lot of my time. I resent that my job leaves me too tired often to do much else but watch TV or play on my computer. Now that's a real defining passtime, right?

I guess what I'm saying is that we are more than our jobs. They may be neccessary, and time-consumming, but there is more to most of us than that. But, what do I know?

No comments: