Wednesday, October 06, 2010

A Debbie Ford Book

I'm reading a book by Debbie Ford about how to cleanse yourself of ideas and beliefs that don't work for you anymore. She talks about a children's story about a little crab named Gresper. He spends his young life with other small crabs, eating scraps and living in a small area. One day he feels something different, more open and lighter. He then sees his shell has split and is laying beside him.  The other crabs gather around him and begin warning him of the danger he is in until his new shell grows back and hardens. They warn him to stay where he is and not to venture farther. However, something inside calls him to venture beyond the rocks where he has lived his life, so he begins to move around the rocks. All the while, his fellow crabs are calling for him to come back. Grasper continues on around the rocks. There he sees a wonderful sight, the vast ocean opening up to him, showing him a little of the world he had not even suspected with more food than scraps and many other wonderful things. Grasper realises that he can go back and spend his life small and restricted, or he can grow and learn. He will have to reinvent himself over and over as he outgrows his shell and molts and grows a bigger one.

It's a lovely story and an introduction to her own "Grasper" moment when she is in her fourth drug treatment center, feeling the need to quit and run away, but she realises that if she doesn't stick it out this time, she will either be back again or she quite possibly will die. At this point she finds a quiet place and gets on her knees calling for a God she's not sure she even believes in.She keeps reciting the Serenity Prayer, which she has just learned "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference," She wasn't sure how long she knelt there in pain and agony, but at some point a feeling of peace came over her and such a feeling of overwhelming love that she was amazed.

I'm actually still in the first chapter, but it promises to be a wonderful book. I'm certainly not a drug addict trying to kick the habit and survive, but I feel my life could have more meaning. I'm also of an age that I can't count on lots of time left to get things right, so here I go again with a little reinvention of my own.

No comments: