Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Reading

I've been a bit lax in my posting. Maybe it's cause I spend too much time reading and not writing. I just finished "Thud" by Terry Pratchett. I have so many of my books put away, due to my moving. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy Pratchett's Disc World series. These books can make you laugh out loud. They are also a comment on human nature.

In this book, we meet Sam Vines again, chief of police in Ankmorpok. He's now a Duke, thanks to marrying Sylvia. His one absolute in life, other than being a "copper", is being home at 6pm to read "Where's My Cow?" to Sam junior. It's a picture book, suitible for a small toddler. Inspector Vimes even manages to yell it from memory from hundreds of feet under ground, and Sam Jr. hears it. Of course, the disc world has it's magic.

The main idea of the book is to discover the secret of Koom Valley, and to stop the fighting between Dwarf and Troll, before they reinact the Battle of Koom Valley.There are some great side stories about different kinds of people learning to get along, like werewolves and vampires, who normally don't get along. (Imagine that)

I enjoyed the book so much, I'm thinking of re-reading some of the first ones, especially the ones about witches. Unfortunately, I don't think I still have them. Time to get a library card.

No comments: