Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Looking Forward to Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is only 8 days away. It's a Holiday that most of us enjoy, but seems to get lost in the shuffle on a comercial level-except for grocery stores. My handicapped daughter loves Halloween, but this year she put all her Halloween decorations away a day early and started talking about "Turkey Day".(her term). She even forgot that her birthday was the week before Thanksgiving until I reminded her. I'm not sure what excites her, the food, the preparations, but mainly the traditions. She really gets insistant about traditions and it can be perilous to make changes without making sure you discuss it with her. I like Thanksgiving, the family together, at least as much as possible. I enjoy watching the Christmas parades on TV. This year, instead of pumpkin pie, we're haveing pumpkin cheesecake. I believe that we should practise thanksgiving every day of the year, not the eating, but the gratitude. Every single day of our lives there is something to be thankful for, even if it's just waking up still breathing in the morning. Most of us can find multiple blessings to count every single day, we just need to be aware of our lives. I try to think of "gratitudes" every night before sleep. It's great for your perspective!

No comments: