Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Season

Today, we were thinking about how much Christmas decorating we were planning to do this year. Our nieghbors have their lights up and lighted figures out. All over the city and county as well, there are lights springing up everywhere. I halfway expected to see fewer displays this year, what with the recession and all. I guess that either people are putting up a show of hope, or maybe just doing what they always do, out of habit.

We've decided to leave our lighted figures in the basement. We'll probably use some small lights on the fence, just to show the neighbors we're still here. We've got our wreaths up and the mailbox decorated. Indoors, we've put out one or two things. We may put out a little more, but niether of us feels like going all out this year. The economy plays some part, but mostly it's because we are still in mourning. I imagine this year will be the biggest problem, and that it will fade a bit with time, but, for now, my heart just isn't into a lot of decorating. That doesn't mean that Christmas will mean any less. In fact, it will probably mean more, in many ways.

Our weather is still on the mild side. Last year on Dec.1st, we had a huge storm. I'm not feeling left out though. I'm still driving into Salt Lake 4 days a week, so milder weather is easier. I'm sure it won't last forever. I'll just enjoy it while it lasts.

We have new stores in Tooele. A new Big 5 Sports opened recently, and a new Sears appliance store had their grand opening on "black Friday" and did very well. We have a new Gold's Gym being built that will open around the 20th of Jan. Right now, you can join for $21 per month. I've been trying to decide if I can afford it or not. I'm just a little worried that things at work will slow down in January and my hours might go down. Last year stayed fairly busy, but this year could be different. I guess only time will tell. In any case, we're still surviving, plumbing bills and all.

No comments: