Sunday, October 05, 2008

Quiet Sunday

It's Sunday, and I'm off work. I'm ignoring politics and the economy and spending a quiet day.

It rained yesterday and snowed in the mountains. It's October and time for the LDS Conference, so it storms. I'm not sure why, but probably 90% of the time, we do get storms during fall conference and spring conference as well. The timing of the events is probably the most logical reason for the inclemant weather.

I worked yesterday and it was just sprinkling when I arrived at the store, but throughout the day, I would see members coming in with wet hair or wet overcoats. On my way home, there were still patches of rain, some even heavy. I turned to the south, on my way into Tooele. I looked to the southwest and I could see a little clearing of the clouds on top of South Willow Peak. There it was, the first snow of the season! As I traveled closer to Tooele, I could see snow above Middle canyon and Settlement canyon. It was very pretty.

It seems strange that I welcome the snow, when just a few months ago I was cursing it. I could say that snow in the mountains is welcome, which it is. We live in a high desert state and we depend on snow in the mountains. Still, I will admit that snow can be beautiful for it's own sake and I certainly can enjoy a quiet snow falling outdoors while I view it from the warmth of home with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate. I even enjoy being out in a snow storm, as long as I have nowhere to go and can retreat back indoors when my feet and hands get cold. I guess there's just something compeling for me, in the changing of the seasons. Isn't it a shame that we so quickly, get tired of each season, and look forward to the next one. The one season I really like to draw out longer is Fall. I enjoy October and November very much, especially October. It has to be my favorite month. I love the cooler temperatures, the turning leaves, the harvest. I love pumpkins. We'll soon be buying some, displaying them on the porch, and looking forward the the grand smashing on Halloween, to honor Michele's momory.

No comments: